Monday, November 14, 2011

Chritmas Collection Swatches + A Holiday Comparison

So you may have noticed that I got some nails wheels judging from my last post. I have been having fun swatching with them, but have also found then useful for comparing polishes I think are similar.


First I have some swatches of the actual polishes I purchased from the China Glaze Let It Snow, Holiday 2011 collection. Left to right

Glittering Garland - a gorgeous deep green, jelly-ish base with golden yellow glass flecks. I believe this  ws 2 coats, great formula.

Holly-day - a beautiful medium cream green. I feel like it leans a bit more yellow. This was a 1 coater! Great formula.

Twinkle Lights - small sized gold, green, red and I even spied some sparse holo glitter in a clear base. I don't remember how many coats this was! Not that it was a lot, but when applying glitter like this I tend to just blob it on and spread it out. I would not recommend this, you will get patches and unevenness. I do however remember that the first coat was surprisingly opaque for this type of polish. The glitter was very dense.

No topcoats were added to these swatches, look how glossy!


Glittering Garland reminded me of an awesome polish from Orly's Christmas collection last year, Meet Me Under the Mistletoe, below is a bottle shot of them both together. They don't look like exact dopes in the bottle, but what about on the nail?


Although they have different colour bases, the glass flecks are fairly similar even though in the bottle the Orly looks a lot more impressive, duochrome and all! On the nail, although there is a duochrome effect, it is subtle. See the comments for each polish below the photo.


Orly - Meet Me Under the Mistletoe (right)
- green leaning blue base
- at least 3 coats for full opacity
- gold/green flecks that change slightly depending on your lighting source

China Glaze - Glittering Garland (left)
- Medium to deep green base
- 2 coats needed for full opacity
- golden/green flecks leaning towards yellow, no duochrome. These flecks actually remind me more of Zombie Zest than the Orly. Click on the photos for a close up to see for yourself.

What do you think of these comparison swatches posts? Any request for future posts?

2 comments:

  1. I also own MMUM and GG and found them almost indistinguishable on the nail. Thanks for the great comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impoverished by Polish - i agree that they are close, but perfect dupes? I don't think so. the base colour is what really sets these 2 apart. the orly is more blue based than china glaze

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, I love reading your comments and feedback :)